Everything You Need to Play Rune In 2023:
1. Download Rune
Rune is available for purchase on GOG and Steam. We highly recommend the GOG version because it comes with both Rune Classic and Rune Gold. Rune Classic has many issues and missing content, so it is recommended to use Rune Gold instead. Both Rune Gold and Rune Classic are able to connect to multiplayer servers. If you are looking for alternate versions or patches of the game, please ask in the RUNE Discord.
2. Multiplayer Server List Fix
If your game does not load the multiplayer server list (Master Server Failed error), follow the steps below to fix it:
This will directly connect you to a Rune community server and will update your game's masterserver setting if it's using a dead or broken one.
- Start the game and open the in-game console. (The key to open console will be either ~, Ö, or ^, depending on your keyboard language.)
- Paste the command below for your version of Rune in the in-game console. If you are using Rune Classic the game will relaunch first. Wait until the downloads complete and once you've succesfully joined the server your multiplayer server list should be working again!
relaunch rune://22.214.171.124:5600 -VERS=107
For a full guide see: How to Fix the Rune Multiplayer Server List
3. Updated Graphics Renderers (Rune Gold Only)
For Rune Gold, updated graphics renderers are available to fix issues and improve visuals.
- Download and extract the renderers.zip package.
- Paste the files for the renderer you want to use into the game's Rune/System/ folder. To use the recommend Direct3D9 Renderer, copy D3D9Drv.dll and D3D9Drv.int into the Rune/System/ folder.
- Launch the game and navigate to Options -> Video. Under the Video Driver section, click on the "Change" button to select the new renderer.
- In the Video Configuration window, click the "Show all devices" option to see all renderers available, then select the one you want to use. The most stable and recommended renderer in this package is Direct3D9.
For a full guide see: How to Install Updated Renderers for Rune
Additional Help and Resources:
Table of Rune Versions:
Note: All multiplayer servers are currently using versions 1.07-1.08.
|Rune Gold (1.07-1.08)||
|Rune Classic (1.01, 1.07, 1.10-1.11)||
- Rune: Halls of Valhalla (1.06 - 1.08)
- Rune: Viking Warlord (PS2)
- Rune (1.00 - 1.01)
- Rune Demo (1.00 - 1.01)